Who is a Dog Bite Lawyer and What is Their Responsibility?
Very many people get bitten by dogs every year. Some attacks may be serious to the extent of individuals seeking appropriate medical care. The moment you get bitten by someone else’s dog due to the owner’s negligence, you may seek compensation by filing a claim; a dog bite lawyer can assist you in this process. This is a lawyer who is experienced in the legal field of representing clients who have been attacked and bitten by dogs. The lawyers may offer assistance in the following ways:
- They may assist victims in claiming fair compensation after they have sustained injuries due to dog bites.
- Lawyers can also represent dog owners facing a euthanasia hearing due to their dog causing serious injuries and damage to another person.
- They may also represent dog owners when they need help approaching insurance companies after a bite has occurred.
- Lastly, they may represent dog owners and assist them in obtaining compensation when their dog gets attacked by another person’s dog to the extent of sustaining injuries.
Common Responsibilities of a Dog Bite Injury Lawyer
Many individuals have incurred heavy medical expenses, pain, and lost labor due to dog bites. Others have even undergone emotional distress and suffering because of dog bites. Therefore, a dog bite is not something that you can take lightly. If you have encountered such an incident, do not hesitate to contact a dog bite lawyer. An experienced lawyer has a deep understanding of the law and will offer the best advice about the case. In addition, since the lawyer has encountered such cases before, he will do what is required to ensure that you receive a fair settlement depending on your situation. Some of the most common responsibilities of a dog bite injury lawyer include;
- The lawyer will assist you in filing a claim regarding a dog bite. If you have encountered an incident whereby someone’s dog has attacked you innocently, resulting in injuries, the lawyer will assist you in filing a claim for you to obtain compensation. However, a settlement will be based on certain dog bite laws. For instance, the one-bite rule will hinder you from getting compensation, especially if it was the first time for the dog to bite.
- It will be the lawyer’s responsibility to provide enough evidence proving that the accused dog was at fault, and as a result, the owner must be liable. If a dog bites an innocent individual due to the owner’s negligence, the law would require the dog owner to pay for damages. However, in some cases, it may be difficult to demonstrate negligence. Therefore, for one to win such a case, they must convince a court of law that the dog owner did not convey reasonable care, and as a result of their negligence, the attack occurred.
- The lawyer will also assist you in obtaining the compensationyou deserve depending on the nature of your case. The compensation is usually in the form of payments. Various common damages are usually recovered the moment an individual succumbs to a dog bite. The first one is hospital bills. It is so common, since one will be required to seek medication once one has succumbed to dog injuries. The other damage that is also commonly recovered is the pain as a result of the bite. The dog owner would be liable to pay for the pain and suffering caused. In addition, it will also be the responsibility of the dog owner to pay for any lost wages and property damage caused by the dog during the biting attack.
Some people would prefer to represent themselves to cut on hiring a lawyer when they succumb to a dog bite. However, it is always advised to seek the assistance of a dog bite lawyer whenever you are faced with such a case. The lawyer will assist you in providing enough evidence depending on your case and ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.