Requirements for the E-1 Visa

The E-1 visa (also known as the Treaty Trader Visa) is the type of visa that allows a foreign national to enter the United States and work in the US-based on the commerce they are conducting. It is available only to the citizens of certain countries. The mission of the E-1 visa is to help the treaty countries engage in international trading.

Requirements for the E-1 Visa

To qualify for an E-1 visa, an individual must:

  • Be a citizen of the country the United States has a treaty of commerce and navigation with;
  • Carry on substantial trade;
  • Carry on principal trade between the treaty country qualified for the E-1 visa and the United States.

What Else Should You Know About the E-1 Visa?

This visa is valid for up to 2 years, and an individual may be able to get an extension of up to two years. There is also no limit to the number of extensions.

An E-1 visa holder may travel out of the United States, and he or she will get an automatic two-year extension upon admission.

Dependents and spouses of E-1 visa traders also receive the E-1 visa. Spouses are allowed to work, but are recommended to apply for work authorization first. Children are allowed to study but are not allowed to work.

The E-1 visa holder is restricted to working only for the specific employer or a business that sponsored the E-1 visa for the employee.

This visa allows its holders to work in any state, so if you are looking for E1 visa Los Angeles, here is the law firm that specializes in different types of visas and is ready to help.